Chestertown is proud to be the home of the first college chartered in the new nation. Washington College’s core values of integrity, determination, curiosity, civility, leadership, and moral courage attract the very best in faculty, staff and students and add enrichment and diversity to our community.
The members of Downtown Chestertown Association are happy to call Washington College their neighbor and invite students, faculty and staff to discover all our community has to offer. Just off the charming tree-lined sidewalks are dozens of shops, restaurants and services that appeal to every style and taste. Whatever it is you’re looking for, you’ll likely find it in Downtown Chestertown.
The following member businesses offer discounts to Washington College students when they present their student ID:
10% discount at Chestertown Natural Foods
10% discount at Gabriel’s of Chestertown
10% discount at Salon
10% discount at The Finishing Touch
Apply for a free Kent County Public Library card! With this card, you can check out materials, including books and DVDs, and access Digital Library resources, including downloadable ebooks and audiobooks. To apply, visit any KCPL location and fill out an application. Valid college ID is required.
What’s happening during the Fall 2019 semester in Chestertown?
· November: Live shows and Open Mic Nights at The Garfield
· December: Holidays in Chestertown
Other things to do when you’re not studying…
· Join the locals and hit the trail with the Chestertown Runners
· Grab breakfast! Try a pastry and coffee at Evergrain Bread Co., or a breakfast sandwich at Play it Again Sam’s
· Visit Fountain Park for Chestertown’s famous Saturday morning Farmers’ and Artisans’ Market or drop in to the Chestertown Natural Foods
· Go shopping! Visit Gabriel’s, Twigs & Teacups, She She’s on High, Walnut & Wool, Blackbird Boutique, Bee Crafty, Riverside Unique, Create – for a little bit of everything
· Visit RiverArts to enjoy work by our local artists, a calendar of classes and speaking events and for directions the many studios of our nationally recognized artists who live and work in Chestertown
· Play outside! Take a walk or bike ride on Chestertown’s Gilchrest Rail Trail, or drive to Eastern Neck Island national Wildlife Refuge for miles of hiking, biking and water trails
· Hop aboard the Schooner Sultana for a public sail, or one of the Sultana Education Foundation kayak tours
· Catch a cruise down the Chester River on the Chester River Packet
· Take a self-guided walking tour of Chestertown’s Historic District
· Drop in to The Book Plate for something fun and head to Wilmer Park with a picnic bag from Chester River Wine & Cheese
· Grab a waterfront lunch at 98 Cannon or head to Rock Hall for a crab feast at Waterman’s or the Harbor Shack for TexMex
· Catch a performance at the Garfield Center for the Arts, or The Mainstay in Rock Hall
· Have a car? There’s a driving tour of Kent County that covers 110 miles and takes you through scenic vistas and charming small towns
· Over 21? Check out Bad Alfred’s Distillery, The Retriever & Decoy Shop, and Zelda’s. For a more extensive tour, check out the 15 vineyards along the Chesapeake Wine Trail.
· Grab your beach blanket and head to Betterton; stay for dinner at Barbara’s On The Bay or come back to town for sushi or Thai at Sado.
· Pick up a cold treat at The Freeze
· Brunch with your friends at The Kitchen at the Imperial.
· Looking for more? Check out townofchestertown.com for a full calendar of events